Jeff Jordan leaves men’s basketball team

Jeff Jordan, two-year reserve point guard for the Illini basketball team, has decided he will not be returning for the upcoming season. Jordan, son of Michael Jordan, said that he wants to focus more on academics and life after college.

“I loved playing for the Fighting Illini and appreciate the support I was given by my teammates, coaches and the great fans here,” Jordan said in a press release. “But I have come to the point where I’m ready to focus on life after basketball. I will concentrate on earning my degree from the University of Illinois and the opportunities that await upon graduating.”

Coach Bruce Weber said that he respects Jordan’s decision and only wishes him the best in his future endeavors.

“Jeff was an invaluable member of our team the past two seasons and I thank him for his contribution to our program,” coach Bruce Weber said in the press release. “He brought great work ethic to the gym and pushed himself, as well as his teammates, each and every day to improve. We will miss him, but we fully support the decision he has made. When the game of basketball has been a top priority throughout your life, it is very difficult to transition away from playing. I know Jeff has given this much thought. He is an outstanding, mature young man who will be successful in whatever areas he pursues in the future.”