Daily Illini: for students, by students

As you read through the articles of this guide you’re learning all about how to be an Illini and how to enjoy your new Champaign-Urbana home. There is one important Illini tidbit you can’t forget— The Daily Illini, of course.

All personal bias aside, I hope we become your constant source of news, sports and features over the next four years.

You can find The Daily Illini, which is free, Monday through Friday all around campus. Whether you are picking up a copy of the paper, which is delivered to most campus buildings, tuning into our news, sports and entertainment broadcasts at 5 p.m. on 107.1 WPGU-FM, checking our Web site for updates, receiving breaking news e-mails or even checking our mobile site which looks to debut this Fall, we are always there.

The Daily Illini is more than just a news organization, however, it’s a relationship between us and you — the students, because in case you didn’t know, we are all students as well.

The Daily Illini is an entirely student-produced newspaper. We take the photos, write the stories, design pages, update our Web site, and produce news broadcasts.

After launching the new DailyIllini.com in April (check it out!), our staff is continuing to bring you the news you need across different mediums, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

This fall we will embrace the move to multimedia journalism with videos, audio slideshows and new ways for you to be informed and interact with our news, sports and features coverage.

As an independent student paper you, the readers, are always our first, and most important concern. If you ever have a question, comment or idea let us know through letters to the editor, online comments or participating in our online forums.

Better yet, come join The Daily Illini staff and be a part of providing information to the campus community. We’ll see you on Quad Day or you can join us at Illini Media Info nights Aug. 27 or Sept. 2 at 7 p.m. to learn more.

Good luck and we hope to see and hear from you in the fall.

Melissa is a junior in Media. If you would like work for The Daily Illini, contact her at [email protected].