Q: How can I staying in touch with friends off campus?

Meeting tons of new people at college is great, but are you looking for ways to stay in touch with everyone from home? Here are some tips:

Facebook

It seems obvious, but Facebook is actually a great way to keep in touch with friends both near and far away.

Whether it’s a message, chat, or a simple wall post, Facebook can enable you to stay close with everyone no matter where they go to college. Pictures allow you to share your college experience and compare it to theirs.

Facebook also makes it easy to keep track of birthdays, making no excuse for forgetting.

Skype

Skype now allows you to talk on the phone, Instant Message, and video chat your friends for free.

Video chat is a great way to keep in touch and laugh with old friends; seeing them is much better than a simple text message conversation.

You can also show off your surroundings and friends to one another without spending money on travel.

Gmail

In addition to the obvious purpose of e-mail, Gmail also has a chat feature so users can talk to friends who also have Gmail accounts.

This enables you to catch up with an old friend from home while going through all of those tedious school e-mails.

Google allows users to make groups, chat and share information all on one site.

Visits

Once you get settled in, sometimes it’s a good idea to plan a trip to visit a friend at college.

Driving to another college with friends can be a fun road trip. If you don’t have a car, several bus or train services can connect you to your friends.

You can catch up on stories while meeting all of their new friends and seeing their new campus.

Or even better: have them visit you! You can reminisce about old memories while touring the Quad and Green Street.

Phone

It may seem obvious, but it’s important. Although Internet communication is easy and can be done on study breaks, calling an old friend is often the best way to keep in communication.

Having an actual conversation will allow you to trade stories from college while healing the nostalgic feelings of hearing the voice of an old friend.

With phone technology today most students can text, send pictures, instant message or communicate in multiple way all through one phone.