Events to ring in the new year in C-U

Even though most students leave campus during winter break, some migrate back to Champaign-Urbana to ring in the New Year.

With various events happening around town that are designated to celebrate new beginnings, students who make their way back to school in the middle of break will be able find a good time with their friends and family.

“People might go to the bars and sororities or frats might have something going on. It depends on the person,” said Mallory Weber, freshman in Engineering. “(New Year’s) is a central occasion to meet up with all your friends at school because it’s in the middle of break.”

Sara Mocogni, freshman in ACES, agreed.

“It’s the perfect time to rekindle friendships,” she said.

Some local restaurants and bars are having New Year’s parties that will feature live music, such as the New Ruins at Mike ‘n’ Molly’s, 105 N. Market St., in Champaign, and the Piano Man at Canopy Club, 708 S. Goodwin Ave., in Urbana. Special DJs, like DJ Belly at Boltini Lounge, 211 N. Neil St., in Champaign, will also be spinning music until the clock strikes midnight and beyond.

Other New Year’s events happening around campus include Urbana Free Library’s “Noon Year’s Eve Party,” which is geared toward families coming together and participating in traditional New Year’s eve activities earlier in the day to accommodate children who cannot stay up until midnight.

Lynn Harmon, children’s librarian at the Urbana Free Library, 210 W. Green St., said children of all ages and their families will count down to the New Year at noon instead of at midnight. Prior to the countdown, they will make noise-makers, come up with New Year’s resolutions and predict what the coming year will hold.

The Virginia Theatre, 203 W. Park Ave, in downtown Champaign, is holding a special concert by The Chorale, a Champaign-based performance group, entitled “On Broadway” at 7 p.m. It will spotlight popular songs from Broadway musicals and all the proceeds go to The Chorale’s Young Artist Scholarship Program.

Because of the variety of events that will be happening in Champaign and Urbana, Marchelle Phillips, sophomore in Engineering, said though she was not personally staying on campus for New Year’s, she can see the appeal of making the trip back.

“I’ve heard several people were coming back to celebrate the New Year on campus,” she said. “If my friends were here, I’d definitely want to come back and hang out with them on New Year’s.”