Holiday meals long-awaited by students

By Ariel Robinson

The cold air brings with it the holiday season and the opportunity for students to have their favorite home-cooked seasonal foods and treats.

Stores and cafes around campus have stocked their shelves and menus with Thanksgiving and Christmas-themed foods.

County Market offers a variety of different cookies and appetizer trays for holiday dinners. Candy canes and gingerbread cookies are also in season.

Espresso Royale added items like hot cider and cinnamon tea to their menu. Hot chocolate is another holiday drink commonly served around Christmas. However, not all students rush to buy holiday specials from cafes.

“I’m not really into specialty drinks,” said Sarah Pierson, sophomore in ACES.

The University dining halls held their annual holiday dinner before fall break, which served many favorites such as turkey, sweet potatoes, stuffing and pumpkin pie.

Some students said they are looking forward to home-cooked favorites with their families more than specialty drinks as the holidays approach.

“We try to keep it [meals] with the family,” said Pierre Stephens, sophomore in LAS.

Stevens said his Thanksgiving meals usually consist of turkey, corn bread, fried chicken, sweet potato pie, and stuffing. Corn bread and cakes are his favorite dishes to make he said.

“Usually my grandma makes three cakes – German chocolate, coconut and chocolate cake,” Stevens said.

Melanie Rollins, sophomore in LAS, said french silk pie and pumpkin pie are staples at her family’s Christmas dinners.

Pierson said her favorite holiday dessert is her mom’s cherry Jell-O made with real cherries inside.

While turkey is a common dish at both holiday dinner tables, roast beef and ham are also served at some students’ homes.

“For Christmas we have roast beef, green bean casserole and holiday theme pies,” Rollins said.

Pierson said her family has both turkey and ham for dinner. In addition to pies, she said her family makes chocolate brownies for dessert.

No matter what holiday meals and special promotions are offered from the University and restaurants around campus, students say they are excited to go home for home-cooked dinners.