Weather outside is delightful for winter activities

With the cold weather rolling in, it’s time to trade in those flip-flops for a pair of snow boots.

Although some students choose to stay inside during the season to avoid the snow, others will embrace the activities that come along with this frozen rain. Some find the snow itself a fun way to get into the holiday season by having a snow ball fight between classes. Others might spend a Saturday sledding with a few friends down random hills around campus.

“I like to go ice skating, build a snow man and play in the snow,” said Catherine Britis, freshman in Education.

Amanda Pearson, sophomore in Education, said that back at home she would spend a day to go out to lunch with her friends and then go sledding in her neighborhood.

“I would go sledding around campus if I could find a good hill,” Pearson said.

Pearson said she is part of the a cappella group Rip Chords. She said they practice carols during the holiday season and sing at banquets, fraternities and sororities.

“I would go caroling on the quad,” Pearson said. “My friends and I love to sing.”

Any student can get a group together and go caroling around campus, Champaign or Urbana.

Although there are no outdoor rinks on campus, students can get in the winter spirit at the University Ice Arena, 406 E. Armory Ave. Open skate is Saturday and Sunday during the day, and Wednesday and Friday nights. Admission is free to University students with a valid i-card and skate rentals are $1. The Winter Festival on Ice will be held at the Ice Arena on Dec. 20 and 21.

If students are looking for a winter activity, the 9th Annual Parade of Lights will be held in downtown Champaign on Friday. According to the Champaign District Web site there will be a parade along with entertainment such as dance teams, choir groups and marching bands. This is a free event that anybody can go out and enjoy.

Students can start their holiday shopping at the Lincoln Square Village Holiday Market on Saturdays through Dec. 19 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. According to the Urbana Business Association Web site, unique and festive vendors sell everything from baked goods to holiday crafts. Susan Toalson, representative from the UBA said that each year they get a selection of such items as jewelry, pottery and fresh produce.

She said she loves to see students come to the market and purchase gifts from their campus town that they could not find anywhere else.

“We have one rule – the goods have to be made or produced in the state of Illinois,” Toalson said.