A is for alarm clock

A is for apple, but it’s also for alarm clocks, both key objects we need to survive as students at the University. You might be saying to yourself, “I don’t need no alarm clock. I wake up naturally and I never miss classes.”

Well, whatever. This column isn’t for you then. But if alarm clocks have done one thing for me in my four years here, it’d have to be that they motivated me to actually get things done throughout the day.

OK, I lied. I don’t technically own an alarm clock. I own a cell phone. And without my cell phone I’m not really sure what day it is, or even what month it is. I sync my cell phone to my Google Calendar, and from there, I know exactly where I have to be and when, and how to wake up in the morning.

I like to sleep more than the average individual, and if it wasn’t for some obnoxious ring tone to wake me up, I’d be asleep right now.

The alarm does me wonders. It wakes me up and prepares me to take on the responsibilities that I am here to accomplish. Skipping early classes used to be a great hobby of mine freshman, sophomore, and junior years, but finally, I’ve found a way not to miss them: don’t register for early classes. Yet, I find myself waking up earlier than I ever have before, even though my first class isn’t until 11 a.m.

That’s right. I actually get up early for the fun of it. I feel more refreshed when I wake up naturally, and feel like I can get more done throughout the day.

The alarm has been a great help to me in my school career, but I’ve come to the point where I’m able to stare down my phone minutes before it goes off in the morning.

All right. My alarm’s going off. I have to end this and get going on my next task.

Landon Cassman is a senior in Media.