B is for Baking

According to Cookie Monster, “C is for cookie.”

According to the DI, “B is for baking.”

There is a reason that they put kitchens that have stoves in apartments and houses —it’s so the tenants can cook for themselves. And you’re paying the rent, why not utilize what you’re paying for?

Baking your own bread, cookies and other sweet treats has numerous benefits, including cutting costs, eating healthier and the fact that they just make your place smell great.

With the economy in the state it’s in and the high cost of attending the University (let’s not even get into the cost of books), everyone is looking to cut corners.

Well, baking is a great way to start. For example, all you need for a loaf of bread is flour, water, yeast and salt.

At first the cost of a bag of flour and a small container of yeast may seem like it will cost more, but a bag of flour and container of yeast will yield more than one loaf of bread. In fact, you may get at least five loaves of bread out of that.

In the end, you will spend less per loaf of bread by making it as opposed to buying it, and have better bread as well.

In addition to cutting costs, baking is also a great way to eat better.

When you buy a package of cookies or a loaf of bread, ever look at the ingredients?

There are preservatives and high-fructose corn syrup and things I can’t even pronounce in them.

Do you know what I put in my cookies? Butter, sugar, eggs, milk, flour and chocolate chips. No preservatives or things I can’t pronounce in there.

And white bread, well the reason the bread is so soft is because it’s full of air.

Making your own loaf of bread leaves you with a much hardier and nutritionally sound piece of bread.

Plus, you haven’t had bread until you’ve had a slice fresh out of the oven.

But saving money and eating better is only the start of the endless reasons why baking yourself is better.

And there’s the fact that baking bread and cookies smells really, really good.

If you share your baked goods you will become the most popular among your friends, co-workers and roommates.

And, everything always tastes just a little bit better when you’ve made it yourself.

Keep stocked with basic baking ingredients

In order to bake, you’re going to need a well-stocked pantry. Here are some basics you should always keep around that are used in countless recipes.

• Flour
    • Sugar (granulated and brown)
    • Salt
    • Eggs
    • Butter
    • Yeast
    • Baking Powder
    • Non-stick spray

Jessica Glade is a senior in LAS