Appreciate spirit of Valentine’s Day all year

This letter is in response to the opinion article, “Every Day Should Be A Day Of Romance”, posted in the February 12th edition of The Daily Illini, written by Micah Rumsey.

I could not agree with Micah more. Why do we need a day every year to remind ourselves of the ones we love? We should all take a lesson from Shakespeare in regards to how love should be. However, allow me to start off by saying, “Let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments.” I use these words by Shakespeare to say, if you already show your appreciation to the ones you love every day, then this opinion will do nothing more than encourage you to keep up the good work.

This letter is directed more towards those people who require Valentine’s Day to be more special than any other day. “Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds” is a line from Shakespeare’s Sonnet 116 that I think fits best with Valentine’s Day. Valentine’s is but an alteration within the cycle of a year so why should we act any different on this? We simply shouldn’t.

If you are not showing your appreciation to your significant other every day then maybe you aren’t really in love. “Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks but bears it out even to the edge of doom.” Don’t let a single opportunity go by where you can’t let your special someone know how much they mean. Just imagine if every day someone made you feel as special as you do on Valentine’s Day. Wouldn’t that be better than having just one special day?

There are a million more things I wish I could say about how love and romance should be but there is a limit to the amount of space I can use in a newspaper, so I leave you with one last quote from Shakespeare in regards to my words, “if this be error and upon me proved, I never writ nor no man ever loved.”

Roger K. Boyd,

senior in LAS