Poeta named to U.S. World Cup team

Former Illinois wrestler and current assistant coach Mike Poeta was named to the U.S. World Cup team for freestyle wrestling on Tuesday. There was a wrestle-off scheduled between Poeta and Travis Paulson, but it was canceled and Poeta was named to the team.

“I’m just excited that I can focus my training on Russia, not a wrestle-off before that,” Poeta said in a press release. “For the other six guys on the team, it’s been like that since Jan. 22, so I’m glad I can put everything toward the World Cup. This is the top eight teams from last year’s World Championships and we’re the seventh seed, so we’re going to be wrestling a lot of guys who medaled at the World Championships.”

Poeta, a former-three-time All-American, will wrestle at 74kg/163 lbs for the U.S. in the World Cup, a dual-meet tournament featuring the world’s top eight teams. The tournament will take place on March 6 and 7 in Mahachkala, Russia.

Jock Jams tickets still available

Tickets for Jock Jams, a talent show being put on by Illinois student-athletes, will be on sale today. Tickets will be sold from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Scott Hall and beginning at 6 p.m. at the door at Huff Hall. Tickets are also available from any athlete and at the Irwin Academic Center in Room 206, daily from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. The event takes place Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. at Huff Hall.

Daily Illini staff reporting