RSOs exist for all types of interests

With over 500 organizations lining the Quad sidewalks Sunday, there is sure to be a group for every student interest, no matter how unique.

Many unusual Registered Student Organizations, or RSOs, have used Quad Day as a platform to recruit new members who are unaware of what the club represents and what it does.

Falling Illini, whose members plan skydiving outings, has become a large organization because they cater recruitment to students who have never experienced jumping before.

Mike Murphy, president of Falling Illini and senior in LAS, said people join because if skydiving is something they want to try, the club makes it easy by scheduling everything and arranging for transportation,

This saves people money compared to trying it on their own.

Other clubs, however, have broader interests.

Em-J Staples, president of October Lovers and senior in Media, said her group consists of students who love the month of October.

“We go to the corn maze and the apple orchard. We go to the haunted house. We celebrate all October birthdays,” Staples said.

“We celebrate the Day of Mourning, which is November 1,” she added.

Though the club is a little left of most of the organizations on Quad Day, it is one of the largest groups on campus with over 5,000 on the electronic mailing list and 100 to 300 people at meetings and events, Staples said.

Although it is October-centric, the club has meetings throughout the school year. They have events starting in late September and continuing on into warmer months.

“We try to do a camping extravaganza in the spring,” Staples said.

Not every unique student group has memberships as large as October Lovers or Falling Illini.

The Illini Riding Motorcycle Club currently has around 10 to 15 members and will try to recruit members at all levels, even those without motorcycles, said Jamie Nelson, president of the club and University staff member.

Some organizations prefer to give out free gifts in order to recruit new members. Still, there are those whose prospective new members are so specific, giving away free stuff would not help recruit students who are right for their group.

Matt Leslie, senior in ACES and vice president of the Pre-Vet Club, said his group will not be giving away free items because students interested or enrolled in pre-vet classes will seek his club out.

Quad Day is not the only venue for more unique clubs to recruit new members. Groups like the Pre-Vet Club and Illini Emergency Medical Services visit large science classes, where their recruiting efforts could be more rewarding because their audience already has an interest in science.

Leslie said his group will be present at the ACES and Molecular and Cellular Biology new student welcome nights.