After three year process, museum earns reaccredidation

The American Association of Museums recently reaccredited the Krannert Art Museum and Kinkhead Pavilion. The reaccredidation process is an intricate procedure that took three years to go through, the museum began working on it in 2007.

“We fill out a very elaborate questionnaire about the facility, collections, operations policies and procedures,” said Kathleen Harleman, director of the Krannert Art Museum. After the questionnaire is complete and submitted, a group of museum directors visit the museum in order to validate the information provided in the questionnaire.

“There were some concerns about the environmental system,” said Harleman. “They wanted to make sure that the placement of the system would be implemented.”

Harleman said that the new environmental system will be fully installed by December of this year. This system helps keep the artwork in a good condition.

To be reaccredited is a “stamp of high standards”. According to Harleman there is a small percentage of museums that are actually accredited.

“The accreditation helps the museum to participate in exhibitions and is a good housekeeping clean up exercise to go through every 10 to 15 years,” said Harleman.