Editorial: Uphold newspaper ethics

Sunday marked the last edition of the News of the World, which was shut down amid scandal after 168 years of publication.

Specifically, News of the World was involved in phone-hacking scandals. At first, the paper was implicated in hacking the voicemails of celebrities and members of the royal family, which fit with the paper’s reputation for sensationalism. But then the paper was implicated in hacking the phone of a missing girl, Milly Dowler, and the deletion of her voicemails to make room for more, resulting in false hope for her family and police that she was still alive. It appears now that various journalists working for

News of the World hacked the voicemails of thousands of citizens.

While the decision made by owner Rupert Murdoch to shut the newspaper down may seem extreme as it put about 200 people out of work, it was the right thing to do because of the scandal’s severity.

However, it would be wise to rehire those not involved with the scandals after the investigation into the illegal activities of the paper is complete. News Corporation should simply absorb all employees not involved in unethical behavior into the other Murdoch publications.

Meanwhile, while the other employees find themselves looking for new jobs, former editor of News of the World, Rebekah Brooks, who was in charge during some of the phone hacking and is currently under investigation, remains in Murdoch’s organization. Her continued employment is confounding, considering she did not take the fall along with the others in her publication and continues being shielded from the scandal’s repercussions by Murdoch himself. If the rest of th