Campus parking rates, bus schedules to see changes

As students return to campus for the new academic year, they will be facing a few changes to transportation on campus.

*Parking*

Since July, the parking cost at campus meters has increased to $1 per hour instead of 75 cents per hour. The price was raised for the first time in 10 years.

Andy Blacker, spokesman for the University Parking department, said parking permits have also increased in price.

“The parking permit rate did increase by $5 per month for the 12-months and nine-months permits,” Blacker said.

He added that the prices for shuttle lot permits and motorcycle permits did not change. Blacker said students should remember the rules when it comes to parking in University parking lots.

“Purchase your permit to avoid the citation,” Blacker said. “Pay attention to parking lot or structure signage. Park only when you are permitted to park.”

*MTD*

The most significant change to the bus system students may notice this fall is that the 1 Yellow bus route has been extended, said Jan Kijowski, the marketing director of CUMTD.

“(The) 1 Yellow bus weekday daytime buses will now be driving up to North Prospect Avenue,” Kijowski said. “Usually, students were able to go to North Prospect Avenue by riding the Yellow bus only at night and on the weekends. Besides those changes, all routes remain the same.”

The additional routes are for students’ convenience, she said.

“We made such changes for students to have easier access to go off-campus,” Kijowski said.

Vivek Kumar, graduate student, said the MTD is a nice system to have for students to go home safely.

“It is pretty amazing that the MTD operates late at night,” Kumar said. “I have been to Europe, too, but they do not operate buses for students late at night.”