Police remind citizens of traffic laws

The Champaign Police Department urges motorists and pedestrians to obey traffic laws in and near school zones.

According to a press release from the Champaign Police Department, they will place radar trailers in school zones around the city.

Champaign Police also want to remind drivers of driving laws in school zones between 7 a.m.-4 p.m. when school is in operation and children are present. Drivers must stop wireless communication, yield to pedestrians and reduce speed to 20 mph. Failure to reduce speed could result in a $150 fine.

Pedestrians are reminded to only cross at designated intersections and crosswalks when pedestrians have the right of way. Pedestrians should not leave a curb or place of safety and walk into the path of a moving vehicle that could cause an immediate hazard.

Through the use of the Selective Traffic Enforcement Patrol program, officers from the Champaign Police Department will be posted at or near school zones to monitor vehicle speeds.

Citizens with traffic concerns can contact the department at (217) 351-4545 or by visiting the Champaign website at www.ci.champaign.il.us and clicking “Neighborhood Traffic Concerns” in the “Self-Service Police forms” tab.