Construction to close off streets in Champaign

Street closures near Washington and Fourth Streets are set to begin on Tuesday, Aug. 23 around 10 a.m.

Norfolk Southern Railway will begin railroad work on Fourth Street just north of Washington Street, and Washington Street between Fourth and Fifth Streets.

The railroad crossings will be completely closed to traffic while work is completed and both streets should re-open on Thursday, Aug. 25.

The work will consist of tearing out existing crossing material, replacing rail and timber ties and paving the crossing with asphalt. The crossing will re-open to traffic once the asphalt cools.

All questions and concerns can be directed to the City of Champaign Public Works Department.

In addition, a John Street closure starts Thursday.

Beginning Aug. 25, John Street will be closed to traffic from Prairie to New Streets during the next phase of an ongoing construction project. However, pedestrians can cross from each intersecting side street along John Street.

A new 60-inch storm sewer is being constructed down the middle of the existing roadway to replace the 30-inch storm sewer already in place. This project began between State and Prairie Streets on John Street and will continue west along John Street to Willis Avenue.

These street closures will continue moving west on John Street and new intersections will be closed in the coming months. Closures are weather dependent.

The entire project is expected to be completed by June 2012.