Dayglow permit denied, location moved outside C-U area

If you’re one of 4,000 who have purchased tickets to Dayglow, you should not take the information listed on your tickets at face value.

The location reads “88 Broadway,” but the permit for that location has been denied. Promoters for the event were unsuccessful in securing a location in either Champaign or Urbana, although they say the show will go on, albeit at a different location.

Promoters have also not yet announced any acts for the event, which has left some concertgoers concerned, according to comments left on its Facebook event page.

The event was supposed to have taken place in the parking lot of Lincoln Square Mall, as stated on the Facebook page and tickets printed for the event.

Dayglow’s event promoters for the area, Matt Meyer, senior in AHS, and Zach Samson, University of Arizona student, were originally planning on holding the event in 88 Broadway, a special events venue at the Lincoln Square Mall in Urbana. Jeff Grant, owner of 88 Broadway and Fluid Events, which will be producing and staffing the event, said Meyer and Samson sold tickets to more people than the facility could accommodate. The next step was moving the event outside to the parking lot of Lincoln Square Mall. Following a story by The Daily Illini on Dayglow’s impending appearance, Lt. Rich Surles of the Urbana Police Department notified The Daily Illini that the duo’s permit request had been denied.

“Dayglow Tours are still advertising Dayglow at Lincoln Square, but the city of Urbana has denied both the liquor license and the special event permit for the event, so the event will not be occurring in Urbana,” Surles said.

Surles explained the permit requests were denied due to safety issues related to an event of this scale. Memorial Stadium will host a home football game against Western Michigan University the same day, leaving local police already stretched thin. Surles added working the Dayglow event as well would “cause an especially undue burden” on Urbana.

“The City of Urbana is not willing to potentially jeopardize other members of the community by not having enough officers available to provide police service to the rest of the city merely to host this event,” he said.

Champaign Police Sgt. Scott Friedlein followed Urbana’s lead in denying Dayglow a special events permit when Meyer and Samson requested one in Champaign.

“We have a number of issues we have to evaluate such as venue, security and public welfare,” Friedlein said. “Any time we do an event we have to evaluate the impact on the public and what resources we have available locally.”

Friedlein also noted that Dayglow organizers did not have a venue absolutely secured when they requested a special events program in Champaign.

“They have to have a concrete contract with a venue before we consider the possibility of doing it,” he said.

Friedlein said Meyer and Samson were notified of the permit request denial Tuesday.

Since Dayglow could not occur in Champaign or Urbana, Meyer and Samson were left to find a venue elsewhere. On Wednesday, Grant confirmed that Dayglow has both a venue and a permit that will allow for an event of this magnitude. Grant, Meyer and Samson are keeping the event’s location under wraps, along with the headlining performers. The announcement of artists performing at Dayglow has been postponed multiple times, according to the event’s Facebook page. Meyer and Samson said they wish to announce both the location and artists together next week, once everything is finalized.

“It will not be in Champaign or Urbana, but it is really close to here,” Grant said. “Once (Meyer and Samson) announce the headliners, I expect they will sell a couple thousand more tickets. (The contract is) already signed and been OK’d, the location is larger and better suited for this event and I think it’ll be great.”

According to its website, Dayglow is the “world’s largest paint party.” Dayglow is a dance party with live DJs, where attendees are covered in neon paint throughout the course of the event.

Meyer and Samson used Facebook to promote the event, garnering over 4,500 people listed as “attending.” General admission tickets sell for $34.98, while “VIP” tickets, which grant ticketholders express entry and come with a CD, bag, paint, shirt and glasses, cost $65.

Meyer and Samson insist the event will still go on and said they are excited about announcing the headlining artists.

Joshua Simons, senior in Engineering, already bought a ticket for the event. He had not heard of the event promoters running into any problems.

“It’s obviously very disappointing to hear that, but I cannot say that I’m surprised,” Simons said. “It seemed sketchy from day one, selling tickets without announcing a headliner, or any acts at all.”