Dissecting myths about carrots

By Samantha Wagner

When it comes to vegetables, there are few more well-known than the carrot. The beloved root vegetable is sold in slices, sticks and strings and is often paired with a variety of dips and dressings. It is a regular in soups, stews and stirfrys and makes its way into thousands of sack lunches every day.

The carrot often takes the lead role in vegetable juices and even has its own type of cake. But, like any popular vegetable, they are hated as often as they are loved.

Whether you’re a carrot naysayer or carrot obsessed, there are a few things you should know about ranch dressing’s orange best friend. University professors weighed in on the carrot, setting the record straight once and for all.

*Eating too many carrots will make you orange: TRUE*

Carrot lovers may not have to worry about looking like Oompa Loompas, but consuming a lot of carrots daily can give your skin an orange tint. This is because of the beta carotene found in carrots, said Jeanette Andrade, registered dietitian and doctoral student at the University, in an email. An inactive form of vitamin A, beta carotene is healthy and found in many nutrient-rich fruits and vegetables.

Because everyone is different, there is no exact amount of beta carotene that someone would need to have in order to see a change in skin color, Andrade said. Other foods that are high in beta carotene, including sweet potatoes and squash, can also cause your skin to turn orange, she said.

*Eating carrots will improve your eyesight: FALSE*

When someone consumes beta carotene, the body breaks it down into vitamin A, Andrade said. Vitamin A contributes to vision health, but does not improve or repair nearsightedness or farsightedness, she said. It can, however, prevent night blindness, an early sign of vitamin A deficiency, as well as blindness.

*Baby carrots are just regular carrots cut to a smaller size: FALSE*

Baby carrots are actually a different genotype of carrot that was created through a breeding program, said John Juvik, professor of plant genetics at the University. The vegetable was genetically selected to be smaller, sweeter and tenderer, which is likely why they are so popular, he said.

Compared to regular carrots, baby carrots are planted later and harvested earlier, with a growth period of only about eight weeks. The other genotype takes three to four months to develop enough for harvesting, he said.

*Carrots have a lot of sugar and should be avoided or eaten sparingly: FALSE*

Carrots, while sweet, contain the same amount of sugar, or carbohydrates, as other vegetables, Andrade said.

One half cup of chopped raw carrots provides about five grams of carbohydrates, which is equal to what is found in one half cup of chopped green beans, peppers, tomatoes and other raw vegetables, she said.

Carrots should definitely not be avoided because they have many health benefits, Andrade said. Beta carotene may prevent cancer and cardiovascular disease. Carrots also contain vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium, thiamin, niacin, vitamin B6, foliate and manganese.

*Rabbits love to eat carrots: TRUE*

But, it’s not necessarily for the flavor. Rabbits have long teeth that grow continuously, said Janice Bahr, professor emeritus of animal sciences. To keep their teeth at a manageable size, rabbits tend to eat and gnaw on very hard rough things, like carrots, Bahr said.

The connection between rabbits and carrots was likely made because they are often pictured together, especially in children’s books and cartoons, Bahr said. For example, Bugs Bunny was always chewing on a carrot.

Bahr, who has worked with rabbits extensively in her research, said even though rabbits love carrots, they like to eat other things.

“They also love clover, alfalfa, alfalfa cubes, and yogurt on lettuce,” Bahr said.

Samantha is a senior in Media.