Sunday night Emmy predictions

I take television entirely too seriously. If there is a remote in my hand, my world transforms into a place where conversation is useless and the term “multitasking” does not exist. When the 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards air on Sunday night, I’ll be on a whole other planet. You’d be more likely to break Luke Skywalker’s concentration while performing the Jedi mind-trick than take my attention away from the flat-screen.

This year’s Emmys are going to be filled with a lot of “lasts,” which is why I will be equally on the edge of my seat while also covering my eyes. For many nominees such as Steve Carell and the leads of “Friday Night Lights,” this is the last chance for these actors to walk up on that stage and nab a golden statue for playing the characters we love.

It doesn’t help either that the categories this year are extremely competitive, making my predictions a whole lot shakier than years past. The Best Actress in a Drama Series alone is giving me a headache (Tami Taylor vs. Alicia Florrick!?) And don’t even get me started on Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy (four of six are “Modern Family” men!)

Of course, predictions can’t be converted into victories without a little risk. So without further rambling, here’s a list of my major category predictions/hopes for the 2011 Emmy Awards (hosted by the incomparable Jane Lynch):

*Best Drama*

It’s a very tight race this year, but if I was throwing down a few twenties, I’d sadly have to go with “Mad Men.” It’s not that I don’t think the show’s great — I do. But this year should be FNL’s year to shine. They’ve had five incredible seasons and as of yet have no trophy to show for all of their brilliance. Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose!

*Best Actress — Drama*

If I was a betting woman, I’d go Julianna Margulies for her role on “The Good Wife.” If I was a praying woman I’d go Connie Britton for her incredible portrayal of Mrs. Coach aka Tami Taylor on “Friday Night Lights” (bear with me with all the FNL lovin’).

*Best Actor — Drama*

With Bryan Cranston out of the race, this year we will finally crown a new winner after three years of “Breaking Bad” domination. The way I see it, this is a three man race between Jon Hamm of “Mad Men,” Steve Buscemi of “Boardwalk Empire,” and Kyle Chandler of “Friday Night Lights.” My head says Hamm, but (as you should know by now) my heart says Chandler. Give Coach the Emmy!

*Best Comedy*

For this category, I think we may have a repeat on our hands with “Modern Family.” While it would be so sweet to see “Parks and Recreation” get some Emmy love (fingers crossed for the people of Pawnee!), I can’t discount “30 Rock”’s reign as Emmy’s favorite comedian for three consecutive years before “Modern Family” stole the statue last year. In the end though, I’m sticking with “Modern Family.”

*Best Actress — Comedy*

While Tina Fey has dominated this category in years past, I’m hopping on one foot and knocking on wood that her best friend Amy Poehler will take it this year. Then again, you can never count out Laura Linney, a woman who takes cancer and turns it into comedy. If that’s not Emmy gold, I don’t know what is.

*Best Actor — Comedy*

Finally, our first and last no-brainer: Steve Carell. Michael Scott, say hello to the biggest Dundie of ALL TIME — The Emmy.

_Emily is a junior in LAS._