Champaign Fire Prevention Week 2011

The Champaign Fire Department is hosting its annual Fire Prevention Week with a series of events starting Tuesday, Oct. 11.

On Tuesday, from 9:30 to 9:40 a.m., the Champaign Exchange Club will donate teddy bears to the Champaign Fire Department as a part of 2011 “Time out Teddy.” Bears will be collected at Fire Headquarters, 307 S. Randolph St. in Champaign.

The Club is providing over 50 bears to the station for placement in fire trucks to help the firefighters better communicate with children who are involved in situations of neglect or abuse.

On Wednesday, Oct. 12 the Fire Department will host a Community Open House from 6 to 8 p.m at Fire Headquarters to teach families about fire safety.

Rusty the Arson Dog will be present from the Illinois Office of State Fire Marshal, and visitors can take tours of the station, fire truck, engine and ambulance. Pizza will be provided to the first 500 visitors.

On Thursday, Oct. 13 from 5 to 7 p.m. Domino’s Pizza is teaming up with the Champaign Fire Prevention Division. Residents ordering pizzas from Domino’s 1702 W. Bradley Ave. location have the opportunity to win a free pizza.

If all the smoke alarms in the home are working upon pizza delivery, a free pizza coupon will be provided to the household. If a smoke alarm is not working, the fire department will replace the batteries and/or smoke alarm and leave the home with a fully functioning fire safety device.

For more information, visit the “City of Champaign website”:http://ci.champaign.il.us/2011/10/10/champaign-fire-prevention-week-activities/