Briefs 10/14/2011

h2. Protesters to ‘Occupy Champaign-Urbana’

In solidarity with the Occupy Wall Street movement in New York City, students and residents alike will participate in a march and rally to “Occupy Champaign-Urbana” on Saturday.

Beginning at 11:30 a.m., protestors will meet at the WEFT 96.1 radio station, 113 N. Market St., Champaign, to prepare for the march.

At 11:45 a.m., the march to West Side Park will begin with the intention of arriving there by noon.

The rally will be held at West Side Park in downtown Champaign.

h2. Urbana opens walking tour of Lincoln’s legacy

To celebrate the release of “In Lincoln’s Shadow,” a walking tour of downtown Urbana, the city of Urbana and the Lincoln Legacy Committee are hosting a reception and an “inaugural walk” on Saturday at 9:30 a.m.

Urbana mayor Laurel Prussing and the Lincoln Legacy Committee will be at the Urbana Free Library’s Lewis Auditorium, 210 W. Green St., for light refreshments and a preview of the walking tour.

The tour is being described as a “pastcast tour.” Pastcasting involves self-guided video walking tours to visitors at historic sites.

h2. Food for Families drive celebrates 25 years

The Junior League of Champaign-Urbana and the Eastern Illinois Foodbank will celebrate the 25th anniversary of Food for Families Drive at 2:30 p.m. Saturday during the Illinois versus Ohio State football game held in Memorial Stadium.

There are multiple ways for people to help the Foodbank, including donating nonperishable food or cash at the Food for Families Kickoff on Saturday and donating food at participating local grocery stores, such as Schnucks, Common Ground Food Co-op, County Market, Strawberry Fields and Wal-Mart.

_Compiled from Daily Illini staff reports._