Urbana opens walking tour of Lincoln’s legacy

To celebrate the release of In Lincoln’s Shadow, a walking tour of downtown Urbana, the city of Urbana and the Lincoln Legacy Committee are hosting a reception and an “inaugural walk” on Saturday, Oct. 15, 2011 at 9:30 a.m.

Urbana Mayor Laurel Prussing and the Lincoln Legacy Committee will be at the Urbana Free Library’s Lewis Auditorium, 210 W. Green St., for light refreshments and a preview of the walking tour.

The tour is being described as a “pastcast tour”. Pastcasting involves self-guided video walking tours to visitors at historic sites. Participants can see images and hear sounds from the past on the actual historical spots of the tour. The “pastcasts” are available to download as audio or video files to personal mobile media devices such as a smart phone, iPod or mp3 player. MP3 video players will also be available for loan to those in attendance.

The “inaugural walk” will begin at 10:00 a.m. Walking tour brochures will be available to take for those who wish to return at a later time. Those who plan to join on the inaugural tour and already have a mobile media device can visit the City of Urbana website to download audio podcasts in advance. It is not necessary to have a mobile media device to attend the reception or on the walk.

Though the pastcast tour is not a tour of sites Lincoln visited, visitors will learn about the connections between him and the historic buildings of the City of Urbana.

For more information on the tour, and to download tour podcasts, visit the “City of Urbana website”:http://urbanaillinois.us/posts/2011/10/lincolns-shadow-reception-inaugural-walk