Band Good Luck Jane aims to get ‘LIVE’ for cancer

A University student is harnessing hype for the local Champaign-Urbana music scene for a greater cause.

Andrew Slutsky, senior in LAS and member of the band Good Luck Jane, has recently started an organization called Live.LIVE.Loud, which raises money through live music performances to fund cancer research.

“Live music is the pinnacle of people coming together. Anybody that’s at the same show obviously has some connection to each other,” Slutsky said. “That’s a perfect crowd to try and have, in terms of supporting a cause like this. Pretty much everyone has a connection to cancer in some way or another.”

Slutsky was inspired to create Live.LIVE.Loud last May, when his girlfriend, Tova Urborg, a student at Illinois State University, was diagnosed with a rare form of brain cancer. She is currently in Boston undergoing treatment, but said she is touched by Slutsky’s take-charge attitude.

“When he told me (about the organization), I was just in awe by his determination as always, because he just has an idea and turns it into something real, which is so amazing about him,” Urborg said. “I just felt really lucky that he was getting the word out there about cancer and doing it through music.”

The movement is relatively new, so no live shows have taken place yet.

“I have a list of probably 30 bands that I’m going to contact,” Slutsky said. “I’d say right now it’s past the planning stage, and it’s getting into motion.”

In addition to the live shows, Slutsky is creating rubber wristbands, the proceeds from which will go to the organization.

“I want bands to be official supporters of the movement … (and to) be able to throw my own concerts in the name of Live.LIVE.Loud at venues like House of Blues,” Slutsky said.

Slutsky’s band members were willing to help him get the word out about this organization. News of Live.LIVE.Loud has reached to fans of Good Luck Jane across the United States.

“I know a lot of people who have had music be a really big part of their lives and help them do a lot of things,” said Cara Friedman, a fan from California. “To have a foundation, a place that’s there to help people out through music, I think that’s really great.”