“Haunting Illinois” author to make appearance in Champaign

Both history and paranormal enthusiasts will have the chance to meet and speak with an author and historian of “hauntings” over the midwest.

“Michael Kleen”:http://michaelkleen.com/ will continue his “Heartland is Haunted” book tour Friday at the Champaign Barnes and Noble. His new book, Haunting Illinois: A Tourist’s Guide to the Weird and Wild Places of the Prairie State, features the University’s mysterious and supposedly haunted locations.

From 7 to 9 p.m., Kleen will be signing books and answering fans’ questions regarding his book and the paranormal in general. He said his book breaks down the state’s haunted places by county and town.

“It gives directions to each location; it gives a little bit about the history and hauntings of each location,” Kleen said. “It includes sources that you can go to for more information on each place.”

Kleen said the idea for the book came from his desire to visit more haunted locales.

“You hear a lot about these haunted places online, but you can’t find good directions to them,” he said. “There have been a couple of good books to come out about haunted about Illinois, but nothing that is comprehensive.”

According to Kleen, the University has a few mysterious places. The English and psychology buildings and the basement of the University YMCA all make appearances in the book, complete with the history behind them.