Don’t let White Girl problems become your reality

If Twitter is any indicator of the things we like, I’d say we can’t get enough of White Girl and her problems (because “white girl problems are problems too”).

In fact, White Girl’s problems are so big lately, that even I think I have them — and I’m not even white.

She’s the girl you’re laughing at (but don’t think you’re like at all), because the only thing she’s busy doing is looking at herself in the mirror and wondering when the next cocktail hour is.

Her Twitter following isn’t shy at close to 500,000, but she only follows 42 people (because she’s busy being at fashion week and writing her memoir).

Time counts her among the 140 best Twitter feeds, and the magazine’s readers voted her as one of the Top Five tweeters who are “shaping the conversation.”

She’s witty, punchy and she tells it like it is (or at least how White Girl thinks it is). It’s easy to laugh at her satirical take on the typical upper middle class white girl, but, now that she’s become a point of reference in daily conversations, I wonder if we’re laughing with her or if she’s laughing at us.

She does the extreme (“I just want to be rich when my husband dies”) and the funny but perhaps relatable (“As a woman, you need to be prepared to delete your Facebook at any second”).

In fact, while many of her tweets target the elite socialite, many of them also take jabs at the “average” upper middle class girl.

One minute you’re laughing at her tweets, the next you’re relating to them, and then suddenly bam! You start thinking like White Girl (Ugh, I ripped my fave seven jeans! Whatever, at least I have gameday jeans now. #winning).

The problem with her widespread appeal is that it might be turning us all into people who think they really have these problems (really though, I’m also “super tired from being tired all morning”).

While we’re busy laughing at the issues that she reminds us are trivial, we might also be rationalizing every situation as a WWWGS (what would White Girl say) about this. It’s sort as if in referencing it so much, we’ve actually stopped thinking of it as a joke but more as our own personal reality.

More than anything, I’m afraid we might be channeling our inner White Girl problems. While I’m busy worrying about “Am I well traveled?” and thinking about “how I’m so over interviews,” it might be easy to forget that these concerns aren’t as serious as I’m trying to make them.

We all love a good White Girl problem (because “I used to want to be Ashley, but now I just want to be Mary-Kate”), but it’s important to remind ourselves that White Girl is only a Twitter personality, not someone to embrace for her way of life.

_Nishat is a senior in LAS._