Kappa Alpha Psi leadership conference commences

The Beta Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity is hosting a regional C. Rodger Wilson Leadership Conference from Oc.t 26 to Oct. 29, in which members of the fraternity across five states will be on the University of Illinois campus.

The C. Rodger Wilson Leadership Conference is an annual conference dedicated to training members of the fraternity in various aspects of leadership. The theme of this year’s conference is “All Hands on Deck.” This year’s conference will consist of a week of leadership training workshops and other events to “engage and equip” members with the skills necessary to become better leaders on their campus and in their community.

The conference will conclude with its annual public meeting to commemorate, which will be open to the public, at the Activities and Recreation Center at 6 p.m. Friday.

The fraternity will honor members from the Champaign-Urbana and campus communities. For Champaign-Urbana, Habitat for Humanity, the Center for Women in Transition, Rev. Rickey Parks, Urbana school board member Benita Rollins-Gay, community prevention coordinator at Community Elements Melissa Kearns and volunteer coordinator at Edison Middle School Marilyn Mantsy will be honored.

Professor Carla Hunter, graduate student Natalie Watson, the National Society of Black Engineers, former dean Clarence Shelley and Creating Opportunity, Exercising Excellence will be recognized from campus.

“We’re highlighting service on campus and in the community,” said Rodney Simpson, president of the Beta Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity.