ISS may support Three-In-One medley

The Illinois Student Senate may vote to keep the Three-In-One tradition alive.

The Three-In-One is composed of three pieces: “Pride of the Illini”, “March of the Illini” and “Hail to the Orange.” The medley, usually performed by University bands at athletic events, has received criticism by members of the American Indian Studies department.

David Pileski, student body president, said that although it is associated with the Chief, the Three-In-One is separate from the Chief debate. The NCAA only required the retirement of the Chief, not any songs associated with the former mascot.

“This resolution is trying to stress that the Three-In-One was a long-standing tradition before the Chief even began to form a role,” he said. “A lot of traditions have blended together and merged. The Chief is currently not an option, but the Three-In-One can stand as a tradition.”

The University is short on traditions, said Sam Barghi, sponsor of the resolution and ISS vice president-external.

“When you look at the University of Illinois and you try to think of traditions this University has, there really aren’t any,” he said. “We have the Marching Illini … one of the most notable things that they perform is the Three-In-One. It’s something that creates unity and camaraderie among students, alums and fans. If we get rid of the Three-In-One, we get rid of one more piece of our identity.”

Contrary to what the song’s opponents have said, Barghi said that the song is not offensive on its own.

“I don’t think it’s the music (that’s offensive),” Barghi said. “I think it’s just the fact that its synonymous with the Chief. But the entire University is also synonymous with the Chief.”

Students and alumni would support keeping the Three-In-One, Barghi said.

“It resonates with them. I believe that a vast majority of students enjoy the Three-In-One and want the tradition to continue,” he said. “The Three-In-One was never something that was in question. It was the Chief image, Chief logo and Chief dance that was under scrutiny, not any of the songs or cheers.”