Champaign Mayor issues emergency order for Unofficial

Champaign Mayor and Liquor Commissioner Don Gerard has issued an emergency order regulating the sale of alcohol during Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day.

The event, which is scheduled for March 2, encourages students to begin drinking in the morning and continue throughout the day. Due to the nature of the de facto holiday, there will be an increased police presence on campus. In addition, Gerard has issued to following regulations:

•Bars, restaurants and package liquor stores in the campus area may not serve or sell alcohol prior to 10 a.m. on Friday, March 2 and Saturday, March 3.

•Bars and restaurants may not host any private functions that result in special drink pricing or other privileges on premise from 10:00 a.m. Friday, March 2 until 2:30 a.m. on Sunday, March 4.

•Bars and restaurants may not serve pitchers of alcohol and all drinks must be served in paper or plastic cups or in pre-packaged aluminum cans or aluminum bottles on the 2’“ and 3”. No alcohol may be sold or served in glass containers, including bottles.

•Patron entry age for all bars in the campus area will be 21 years or older between 10:00 am. on Friday, March 2 until 2:30 a.m. on Saturday, March 3, and patron entry age for all bars in the campus area will be 21 years or older between 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 3 and 2:30 a.m. on Sunday, March 4.

•All campus bars must have a doorman, aged 21 or older, present and checking |D’s at all entrances during the hours of operation.

•The Mayor’s Office will not be issuing any keg permits for parties making it illegal to possess more than 1 keg per residence during this event.

•For establishments licensed to sell package liquor, an Adult Responsibility Form must be completed by the purchaser and kept on file prior to the sale of the following quantities of alcohol:

• 168 or more 12 ounce containers of beer or malt beverage;

• 3,000 mL or 100 ounces of hard liquor; and/or one keg.