Acacia Fraternity eyes former Phi Mu house

The former Phi Mu house may soon be the new home to Acacia Fraternity, pending a potential sale.

Last year, the University’s chapter of Phi Mu was shut down by its national office, which cited a decline in membership for its closure.

“Phi Mu Fraternity continues to work with (the University) on the return of the Delta Beta chapter to campus,” Phi Mu National President Kris Bridges said.

Bridges said that while they still own the Phi Mu house, 302 E. Armory Ave., Champaign, it is now under contract with Acacia.

In December, the Delta Beta chapter of Phi Mu held a meeting with its alumnae regarding the future of the house at the University.

“At that meeting, Molly (Williams, Phi Mu vice president of finance) discussed the options that the fraternity had received and what she felt was the best course of action,” Bridges said. “Many factors entered into the decision to accept the contract by Acacia.”

But Mike Duncan, the chair of a house search committee for Acacia’s Heth chapter, said that Acacia has only narrowed down its options for a new house.

“During this time, we’ve evaluated 31 different properties in Champaign and Urbana, and we narrowed it down to 10 finalists and aggressively pursued three of those,” Duncan said.

The University’s chapter of Acacia Fraternity has been looking to acquire property for their members for more than seven years.

Duncan said they will make a final announcement in 30 days about which property they will be purchasing.