Engineers Week begins on campus

National Engineers Week has begun. Starting Sunday, engineering students formed teams, and the teams will participate in competitions all week long. National Engineers Week was created in 1951 by the National Society of Professional Engineers to honor and provide networking opportunities for engineers around the world.

Anando Naqui, senior in Engineering and vice president of the Engineering Council, said the week would have over 300 individual participants. He added that they had 900 T-shirts to distribute throughout the week.

“It’s really important because it gives the chance to celebrate the accomplishments of engineers,” Naqui said.

More than 20 events will be held, ranging from lighthearted ones like twister and dodgeball to more serious ones like a case competition. A full list of events can be found on the Engineers Week “website”:http://eweek.ec.uiuc.edu/?page=events. Every weekday, there will also be a “cheap lunch” served at Engineering Hall from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

At one of the more professional events, the Order of the Engineer will host a ring ceremony on Friday at 5 p.m in the Grainger Grand Gallery. At the ceremony, engineers will accept the “Obligation of the Engineer,” an ethical code for engineers that is similar to the Hippocratic Oath for doctors.

The week will end Saturday evening with a semiformal hosted by the Society of Women Engineers and the Engineering Freshman Committee. At the semiformal, trophies will be given out to the winning team, along with individual awards. Tickets for the semi-formal are $5 and can be purchased at the SWE Office at 110A Engineering Hall.