How to Overcome Adversity in Your Daily Life

(NewsUSA) – While professional athletes face their opponents on game day, everyone faces adversity in their everyday lives.

Just ask noted sports psychologist and author Dr. Jack Llewellyn, who in January 2004 received news that would change his outlook forever: He was diagnosed with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS), the most common form of MS.

Dr. Llewellyn built his career on helping professional athletes overcome adversity by leveraging life’s obstacles to achieve success — if you’ve been following sports headlines lately, you know how much energy that can take — and suddenly he found himself applying those same techniques to get himself through his own challenge of living with MS.

“There are no guarantees in life, but a positive attitude keeps the probability of success on your side,” says the author of the newly released book “Get the Mud out of the Water.” “The week I was diagnosed was a tough one. However, I worked with my doctor to get on therapy right away, and I’ve been able to maintain the life that I love in the eight years since.”

“I tell my players all the time, ‘Everyone faces adversity in their lives.’ What you can control is the time it takes to overcome it by learning how to focus on your assets — not your liabilities.”

The book by Dr. Llewellyn outlines strategies designed to help anyone recover from adversity and lead their best life each day. Among his tips:

* Assess your assets and your liabilities. Ask yourself: “What makes you strong enough to overcome life’s challenges?”

* Achieve something positive every day. Take stock of your accomplishments — small and large — and fill your mind with things that are positive and affirming.

* Surround yourself with a team of people committed to helping you. You need a support system that’s both committed to your health and you.

* Use stress as an incentive. Find a way to use the energy from things that put a strain on you in a productive way.

* Create a positive environment. Make a conscious choice to live every day with a confident mindset.

To learn more about MS and Dr. Jack Llewellyn, visit www.sharedsolutions.com.