News briefs 2/21/2012

h2. University police to test Illini-Alert system

The University Police Department will test its Illini-Alert system Tuesday at 10 a.m.

The test, which is administered by the police department’s Office of Campus Emergency Planning, will send out emails to all faculty, staff and students as well as text messages to registered users. The Illini-Alert system will also send out messages on its Twitter, Facebook and all campus websites.

Illini-Alert tests are used to see how efficiently messages are sent by the system. Responses to the test are not required.

h2. Engineers Week begins, features 20 events

National Engineers Week began this Sunday when engineering students formed teams, which will compete this week.

Anando Naqui, senior in Engineering and vice president of the Engineering Council, said the week would have more than 300 participants.

“It’s really important because it gives the chance to celebrate the accomplishments of engineers,” Naqui said.

About 20 events will be held, ranging from Twister and dodgeball to a case competition.

The week will end Saturday evening with a semi-formal hosted by the Society of Women Engineers and the Engineering Freshman Committee. At the semi-formal, trophies will be given out to the winning team, along with individual awards. Tickets for the semi-formal are $5 and can be purchased at the Society of Women Engineers’ office at 110A Engineering Hall.