Ebertfest set to begin Wednesday

The 14th annual Roger Ebert’s Film festival will run from April 25 to 29.

Roger Ebert, an Urbana native, will come to Champaign-Urbana Tuesday evening for the beginning of the festival. The festival features 12 film screenings throughout the weekend. All films will be screened at the Virginia Theatre in Champaign.

Karen Hoffman, student coordinator for Ebertfest and senior in LAS, said all films were hand-picked by Ebert.

“He just picks films that he thinks that people should be seeing, that deserve the recognition and to be talked about,” she said. “The community of the festival is very open and receptive and wants to see what Roger has picked for them, and take that for consideration when they discuss the films later.”

Around 1,500 people are expected at each screening. Theatre doors will open one hour prior to the first film of the day. Seating is general admission.

Hoffman said one notable event for students is a free film screening of “Kind Hearts and Coronets” at 10:30 p.m. Thursday at Foellinger Auditorium. It will be hosted by Patton Oswalt, who will also perform some of his stand-up comedy.

A festival pass for all 12 screenings can be purchased for $135. Individual tickets are $13 and students and senior citizen passes are $11. Passes can be purchased online at www.ebertfest.com or www.thevirginia.org.