Students should put themselves out there to discover friends

I had never been happier to wake up. Plagued with an earache the night before, hammering pain indicated that sleep was going to be impossible. What do you do when you are kept up by a raging pain?

Go on Facebook, of course.

You know the feeling that you get when you are looking for one specific person on your chat list and you see her? And when you instant message her, she responds? And cares about what you are going through? I never felt like I was going to find that person when I first came to school. And I found her, that night.

Meeting this girl was the result of a series of chance occurrences — after a dreadful experience at Hopkins Hall, I packed my bags and moved to ISR. The transition left me friendless and also left a void in my heart — I filled it with video games. Every Sunday morning, I would wake up and set up my Nintendo system in the basement longue and play for a few hours. On one Sunday, there was a person playing piano. I talked to her, and we became friends. A completely chance occurrence, but we had become friends.

I realized something when instant messaging her that night I had the earache. Friends come out of almost any situation — you have to trust that you will find the people that will be meaningful to you. If you haven’t found them yet at school, it doesn’t mean you never will.

As the school year winds to a close, think about your goals and what you accomplished this year. You may have made a Facebook friend or two, but how many of them translate to the real world? It is frustrating when you feel emptiness in the friend department — you are doing everything right, yet the results are all wrong.

The beautiful thing about this school is that it is an environment conducive to friendship: You almost have to try not interacting with people. Hopefully, some of your interactions will evolve into fruitful friendships. If they haven’t, change what you do.

Unemployed? Get a part time job; co-workers can become great friends. Talk to people in your classes — whoever sits next to you could be your next best friend.

A lot of the friends you will meet here, when thought about in retrospect, will have been formed with an element of luck. This you cannot control. But you can control putting yourself in situations where you get lucky, and the interactions you have with said people discovered in these situations.

School might be closing, but the chance to make friends has not. Take summer break and become a better person. Find a passion. Become the person you want to be so next year, you’ll be the person that people want to be friends with.

_Aaron is a sophomore in Media._