Experts say the scalp is the foundation for strong, beautiful hair

(ARA) – Whether hair is wavy or straight, dry or fine, one thing most women have in common is the desire for strong, beautiful hair. In fact, 80 percent of women say they feel more confident when they have a good hair day, according to a recent survey from KRC Research.

What many women may not know, however, is that they’ve been treating the wrong end of their hair instead of focusing on the source – the scalp. Research conducted on behalf of Unilever suggests that 99 percent of hair’s natural strength and beauty comes from the scalp, and a well-nourished scalp is the right foundation for strong, beautiful hair. Top celebrity hair and skin experts from the Clear Scalp & Hair Therapy team discuss the importance of caring for the scalp and what it takes to get gorgeous hair.

Feed scalp, feed beauty: Nationally renowned dermatologist Dr. Francesca Fusco advises her clients to nourish the scalp. “It is essential to give our scalp as much TLC as we give to our skin because after all, scalp is skin,” she says. Foods high in omega-3 fatty acids, like salmon, also have a beneficial effect on skin and scalp. Fusco also suggests using nourishing shampoos and conditioners such as new Clear Scalp & Hair Beauty Therapy which restore the scalp’s natural moisture balance. The line is infused with Nutrium 10, a rich blend of vitamins and nutrients including vitamins B5, C and E designed to nourish the scalp and hair deeply.

Drink up: There’s a new reason to refill your water bottle. Along with a healthy diet and reducing stress, staying hydrated can impact the overall health of your skin (and scalp) and also plays a part in keeping hair looking beautiful. “I recommend drinking at least two liters of water daily to keep skin hydrated,” says Dr. Fusco. Not only does hydration help with skin health but it can also help reduce frizz.

Nourish the foundation: Celebrity stylist Oscar James cautions against sacrificing scalp nourishment for style. “African American women tend to have dryer scalps and many use chemical treatments and relaxers that can dry out the scalp,” says James. “That’s why I like the Clear Scalp & Hair Beauty Therapy Ultra Shea line because it includes shampoo, conditioner, oil and balm that work together to quench dryness and lock in moisture for long-lasting nourishment.”

Take a break: Jen Atkin, stylist to some of Hollywood’s leading ladies, advises giving your hair a break from heat styling and lots of products to help improve overall scalp and hair health. “A great cut that works with your hair’s natural texture makes a huge difference and can reduce styling time,” she says. Letting hair dry naturally can save time and is easier on your strands.

For more tips on caring for your scalp and hair visit www.facebook.com/clearhaircare or www.facebook.com/clearultrashea.