Healthy communities don’t just happen-they’re made.

(NAPSI)—Healthy communities don’t just happen—they’re made.

That’s a key message of a new Healthiest Habitats study released recently by Sperling’s BestPlaces.

The study, which ranked the healthiest cities in the United States, revealed a number of factors these communities had in common—from the resources available to residents’ behaviors. They included:

• Easy access to gyms and health clubs;

• Hiking and running trails that are readily accessible;

• A significant percentage of the population getting daily exercise and following a healthy diet.

Some Surprises

The study revealed a number of results that many may find surprising. Carcentric Los Angeles, for example, has the highest concentration of hiking and running trails in and around a city. However, it was Minneapolis that had the highest score when it came to the percentage of residents getting regular exercise.

“Be it participating in outdoor activities, belonging to health clubs or the presence of fitness retailers providing resources and equipment, cities across the country are helping their residents stay active and in shape,” said Bert Sperling, president of Sperling’s BestPlaces.

Access to Fitness Gear

San Diego, which ranked No. 4 in the study, has the most retail fitness stores per capita-a fact that comes as no surprise to Gary Barfield, executive vice president of the Russell Athletic apparel brand. “As a brand that is focused on providing high-quality, affordable athletic wear, we are certainly aware of the importance and benefits of living a healthy lifestyle, as well as the wide range of activities consumers participate in to achieve their personal fitness goals.”

To help, the brand recently developed the Dri-Power 360 line, its latest advancement in serious performance wear.

The styles in this line, which features both a men’s and women’s collection, feature a special cotton blend with moisture-wicking technology that helps keep people cool and dry.

More information about the line is available at www.russellathletic.com.

On the Net:North American Precis Syndicate, Inc.(NAPSI)