Letters to the editor

h2. A Trader Joe’s would fit well in the C-U community

For many years, members in the community of Champaign-Urbana have expressed the desire to bring a Trader Joe’s store to our area.

For those who are unfamiliar with this company, Trader Joe’s provides many wholesome items at inexpensive prices.

Some of these items include non-GMO (genetically modified organisms) foods, gluten-free options, organic and natural foods and produce, BPA-free canned goods, vegan and vegetarian foods and delicious treats.

All of these are available at much lower prices than we can find in

our community.

In the past, there has been concern about Trader Joe’s pushing out the local natural food stores.

However, we believe that Trader Joe’s would fill a different niche here. There is a vast array of clientele to draw from in our town, and we feel strongly that Trader Joe’s and the current health food stores are not mutually exclusive.

We have organized a petition to more loudly voice our shared opinion that our community needs a Trader Joe’s store. We have heard that previous attempts (mainly writing of individual letters) have been unsuccessful because the company believes the community is too small or transient.

We would like to show Trader Joe’s just how many people would be interested in a store in Champaign-Urbana.

We would also like to show our city leaders what a huge draw for business Trader Joe’s would be, and that the city can certainly benefit from having a Trader Joe’s here.

Not only would it bring in substantial tax revenue from people in our immediate community, but as evidenced from those who have already signed our petition, many people from surrounding cities would come to Champaign-Urbana to shop at Trader Joe’s.

This is good for our local economy as a whole.

Kylene Gilbert,

Champaign resident