Pileski introduced as board of trustees student representative

CHICAGO – Former student body president David Pileski was officially introduced as the Urbana student representative at the board of trustees meeting Thursday.

During his one-year term, Pileski will serve on the Audit, Budget, Finance and Facilities Committee, which is chaired by University alum Ed McMillan. Pileski — who took over for Hannah Ehrenberg — said he already felt like a member of the board.

“I think there’s some things that have been discussed previously in sessions that I was not a part of, but I feel that I have been brought up to speed on those issues,” he said. “So I don’t feel left out.”

He will not be the student representative with the official vote, as Gov. Pat Quinn gave that honor to Springfield student trustee John Tienken. However, all three students traditionally vote in line with each other.

“Student perspective is critical as the board weighs decisions that will affect their academic future — and the generations of students who will follow them,” University President Robert Easter said. “I’m deeply grateful for their insights and their willingness to serve.”

Three student representatives — one from each campus — have served on the board since 1973, and one has had voting power each year since 1998.