Former UI president returning to classroom

As the University adjusts to new President Robert Easter, former President Michael Hogan is adjusting in his professional life.

Hogan is about a month into his one-year sabbatical and will return to the Springfield campus for the 2013-14 academic year as a distinguished professor of history.

He will be required to teach a minimum of two courses per year, and at least one must be taught on campus. His specific course assignments, schedules and methods will be determined by the department of history and the dean of LAS at Springfield.

Lynn Pardie, vice chancellor for academic affairs and provost at the Springfield campus, wrote in a letter to Hogan in June that, as a distinguished professor of history, he will also be expected to “pursue an active and productive scholarly research agenda and engage in professional service.”

As per his revised employment agreement from last spring, Hogan will receive a nine-month salary of $285,100 paid over 12 months and will be eligible for annual salary increases.

“Dr. Hogan is an accomplished scholar in history, and we expect that he will be a positive academic addition to our outstanding faculty,” Susan Koch, vice president and chancellor at Springfield, said in a statement.

Shortly after his resignation, Hogan, an expert in American foreign policy and international relations, was given the choice to resume his faculty role as a history professor at any of the three Illinois campuses.

Hogan said in a statement in July that he decided to go to Springfield because of the state capital’s access to the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and its reputation for online education.

Pardie said she was pleased with the former president’s decision to teach at the Springfield campus.

“I look forward to the contributions that (Hogan) will make to the intellectual vibrancy of UIS,” Pardie said in an email to UIS faculty members.