Exotic petting zoo, local food, live music to be featured at 37th Annual Urbana Sweetcorn Festival

The 37th annual Urbana Sweetcorn Festival will round out the summer this weekend with live music, food, beer and more. New to the festival this year: an exotic petting zoo.

Friday from 5 to 11 p.m. and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., the Sweetcorn Festival will take over downtown Urbana on Main Street between Race and Vine Streets. Admission to the event is free and open to the public.

For the first time, the festival will include an exotic petting zoo this year with kangaroos, a camel and other barnyard animals, said Cynthia Johnson, executive director of the Urbana Business Association, who plans the event. The zoo will be located on South Broadway Street, just north of Elm Street.

Johnson said the festival is a family friendly event, but also provides adult entertainment such as a wrestling show Friday night.

The plans also include more nationally recognized bands than in past years. Firehouse will perform Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. and pop-metal ‘80s band Warrant will take the stage at 9:15 p.m.

Food options at the festival include barbecue, Greek, funnel cakes, Thai food and sweet corn.