Unique RSOs, thousands of students make Quad Day exciting, overwhelming

If this year is your first Quad Day, there are a couple of things you should know before jumping in.

First, this will probably be one of the only times when you are surrounded by so many of your fellow students. When I say so many, I am not exaggerating. It feels like there are more people at Quad Day each year than at our Homecoming football game.

Quad Day can be a bit overwhelming. You have hundreds of booths with peppy student workers asking you to sign up for their registered student organization. You have no idea which clubs are worth your time, and you only have so much time to walk around to booths before you get exhausted. And of course, each year it is always hot. Really hot.

Quad Day does not have to be a nightmare if you approach it the right way. Yes, you might have a hard time moving through the crowds, but this day is a big opportunity for new students or people who have not gotten involved on campus yet. It is the only time when so many RSOs are going to be in the center of campus offering you information.

The best way to have a successful Quad Day is to have a plan in mind before you get there. If you are most interested in an organization or two, figure out where they are and hit up those booths first. That way, you don’t find yourself leaving Quad Day realizing you forgot to visit the one booth you wanted to visit.

That goes hand-in-hand with my next tip. Quad Day is fun. There will be people performing, people dancing and people running around being obnoxious. It can be easy to get distracted. Make sure you remember, especially if you’re a new student, that Quad Day is a time for you to check out which RSOs you want to join. Try not to lose sight of that.

Some people may say not to take every flier. I disagree. Take every flier and go through them when you get home. You can always decide later that an RSO isn’t for you, but you may forget a booth you visited if you don’t take one.

On the other hand, do not give your email address to every RSO. You will get so many emails and have to ask to be removed from so many ListServs. If you’re pretty interested in a RSO, give them your netID — otherwise hold off and stick to the flier.

Pick up clubs for things that are related to your major, but don’t forget to check out other clubs you may not have thought of originally. If you’re an accounting student, you don’t have to limit yourself to business-oriented organizations. Join a club with a cause you are passionate about. Or even just join a club that looks like fun.

The most important advice I can give you: Quad Day can be fun and exciting, but that excitement wears off fairly soon.

Follow up. Don’t forget about joining a club just because you get busier and start classes. Being a part of something on campus can open up doors you never even knew existed. There truly is something for everyone.

Enjoy meeting new people and seeing what the University has to offer. Don’t forget to wear shorts — it’s going to be a warm one.

Happy Quad Day!

_Jordan is a senior in AHS._