Illinois ranked 46th best university in the nation

Rankings from U.S. News & World Report for 2013 were released Wednesday, listing the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in a five-way tie for 46 in National University Rankings. Other schools ranked at 46 are Pennsylvania State University, the University of Texas, the University of Washington and Yeshiva University. Last year, the University was ranked 45.

University spokeswoman Robin Kaler said the ranking University officials are more focused on is the Top Public Schools list, on which the University of Illinois comes in at 13. In this ranking, the University is tied with Pennsylvania State University, the University of Texas and the University of Washington.

Kaler said this ranking holds more weight for the University because “we really measure ourselves against other public research universities.”

U.S. News develops the rankings each year for National University Rankings, Top Public Schools, National Liberal Arts Colleges, Best Value Colleges and other categories based on academic excellence, graduation rates and faculty to student ratio.

“(University officials) are happy to see that (U.S. News) recognized the excellence of the University,” Kaler said, regarding both of the rankings.

Tied for No. 1 in National University Rankings are Harvard University and Princeton University, followed by Yale University at three. Columbia University and University of Chicago are tied at four.