Man involved in Champaign Police shooting faces charges

Champaign resident Anthony Brown, 25, faces charges of armed habitual criminal and home invasion. He is in critical condition after Champaign Police officers shot him four times in the early hours of Sunday, Sept. 9, during an altercation in a Champaign home, according to an Illinois State Police press release. Illinois State Police also anticipate additional charges against Brown in the future. He faces a bond of $1,000,000, but will not be charged until his condition improves.

At 4:48 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 9, Champaign Police officers arrived at a home in the 1200 block of Crispus Drive in Champaign following a 911 call to the Champaign County Metropolitan Computer-Assisted Dispatch at 4:42 a.m. from one of the occupants. The caller stated that the home’s occupants had locked themselves in a back bedroom after an adult male had threatened them with a firearm, including pointing it at one of their heads, and then left. As the home’s occupants were waiting for 911 assistance, the man had returned in an attempt to break into the bedroom.

When the Champaign Police officers arrived, they saw the suspect standing over the home’s occupants inside the bedroom. A group of Champaign Police, University of Illinois Police and Illinois State Police officers then entered the home through the front door. After approaching the suspect and seeing a revolver in his hand, they ordered him to get down onto the floor. He did not comply with their orders and raised the revolver “in a threatening manner towards them,” according to the same press release. Two Champaign Police officers then fired their weapons a total of eight times, hitting the suspect four times. The officers then administered first aid until the suspect was taken to a local hospital.

The Champaign County Multi-Jurisdictional Investigative Team is currently investigating the shooting, along with Champaign County State’s Attorney Julia Rietz.