Police answer students’ legal questions on Quad

Officers from the Champaign, Urbana and the University teamed up to establish a relationship with the campus community at Public Safety Day on Thursday.

The tradition began six years ago, and local police departments have been participating since, said Capt. Skip Frost of the University Police Department.

“We just want to have a conversation with people about both their rights and their responsibilities,” Frost said.

Students who passed the event on the Quad could ask officers questions about traffic laws, bicycle laws or any other laws they had questions about.

In addition to answering students’ questions, the event also had safety-related activities. If students correctly answered questions on a safety quiz, they could receive a free T-shirt or keychains. Sudents who had bikes with them could register them. Students could also hit the dummy used in the University Police Department’s Rape Aggression Defense System training.

Naomi Brown, freshmen in Engineering, said the event was good for her to explore the University as a first-year student.

“I was curious to see what they were offering and programs that could help out with students on their first year,” Brown said.

Capt. Roy Acree for the University Police Department said the event was successful this year.

“People seem to be responding well to the questions that were asked as far as the safety questions,” Acree said. “It’s just a great way to interact with the students and let students know that we are here to help them out.”

Carina can be reached at [email protected].