Hambly, Dorn talk Texas victory, what it takes to win in Big Ten

_Editor’s note: The following is a partial transcript from an Illini Drive interview with Illinois volleyball head coach Kevin Hambly and sophomore middle blocker Anna Dorn._

*Illini Drive: Just before the (Texas) game started, there was a bomb threat. What was up with that?*

*Anna Dorn:* So, we were actually scouting. And we walk out of our scouting practice, and they told us there was a bomb threat. So we were just confused what was going on. We just kind of waited it out, got an extra two hours of sleep, which is always nice on game day, and watched the news and tried to figure out what was going on. It turned out to be nothing really.

*ID: Did it affect you at all, Coach?*

*Kevin Hambly:* The only thing that affected me was just trying to get all the pieces together to when we’re playing or where. There was all this speculation about moving to a different college. … It was an hour and 45 minutes of not knowing what’s going on. It wasn’t that bad.

*ID: Coach (Jen) Oldenburg came on last week and had the saying that stuck in my mind was, “(The Longhorns) recruit freaks.” Did that fit the bill for the team you faced on Friday night?*

*KH:* We all recruit freaks. … We held them to less than .200 hitting. We did what we needed to do against them, and it was a lot of fun to see us respond.

*ID: Anna, you hit .706 in that Texas match. Just talk about how you guys were able to put it all together and beat a team on their home court.*

*AD:* I think the biggest change we made this weekend is that our passing and defense was incredible. For us hitters, a lot of what we are able to do is dependent on what our passers and setters are able to do. I think a lot of glory should go to them. We just were able to do what we did because of them.

*ID:* What did you tell your team after the Texas game to know that you had to play two games the next day?

*KH:* It’s the same thing all the time. All of this is preparation for the Big Ten. We have to be good in winning two matches in a row in order to be competitive in the Big Ten. “Hey look, good job. Now onto the next (game).” That’s just how it is all the time. If you lose, it’s the same. “Get a few minutes. Deal with it because we’re playing tomorrow.” It’s a challenge, and it takes toughness. Our girls showed that because we played great against Central Florida at 9 o’clock in the morning.

_Contact Illini Drive at [email protected] and @IlliniDrive._