One arrest made following fire on 100 block of East John Street; occupants return to building

Editor’s note: In December 2016, all criminal records for Austin Povilaitis related to the incident in the following story were expunged.

Update: 1:30 p.m.: “Champaign Police and Fire Investigators have cleared the scene and released the building back to the owner. All occupants are free to return to their homes,” Dena Schumacher, public information officer for the Champaign Fire Department, said in an email.

11:25 a.m.: According to a Champaign Police press release, the occupant of the apartment, 22-year-old University student Austin Povilaitis, has been arrested on the charge of reckless conduct, a class A misdemeanor.

Police are continuing the arson investigation and has secured a search warrant for the apartment. The FBI and the Explosive Ordinance Unit are assisting the investigation because of the use of incendiary chemicals. 

10:20 a.m.: Champaign Police are waiting for a search warrant to be issued following the fire at 105 E. John St early Wednesday morning. 

Upon arrival on the second floor of the building, firefighters located fire and smoke in the kitchen of apartment 203, according to a press release from the City of Champaign. 

A visitor in the apartment jumped from the second-story window to escape heavy smoke and a large flash of fire that was a result of chemicals cooking on the stove.

The apartment’s occupant, a University student, received minor burns and refused treatment.

One firefighter was also slightly injured while on scene. An investigator reported that a couch was placed on the stove in an attempt to extinguish the stove fire.

The bomb squad is on standby at the scene and the FBI has been notified of the event.

Occupants of the building may not be able to reenter their apartments until later this afternoon.

The Champaign Fire Department responded to a fire at 105 E. John St. early Wednesday morning. About 15 residents of the one- and two-bedroom apartment building were evacuated.

Dena Schumacher, public information officer for the Champaign Fire Department, said firefighters responded to a call at 3:26 a.m. She said she was not aware of any injuries at this time.

The fire was put out shortly after squads responded to the call. Stephen Clarkson, deputy fire chief, said the fire had started in a second-floor apartment.

The cause of the fire has not yet been determined, and the department will continue to investigate.

“There was a question about whether there was a smoke bomb as part of this, too,” Schumacher said. “It’s all unclear; it’s just unfolding now.”

After the building was evacuated, a search was completed. Clarkson said the damage to the building does not look to be extensive, and is optimistic most residents will be able to reenter their apartments Wednesday morning. He said the most apparent damage was furniture on fire.

Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District buses were sent to the scene to act as a warming shelter for displaced residents. Champaign Police said this is a common courtesy in situations, especially during colder months.