3 men arrested for aggravated criminal sexual assault, police still searching for more suspects

Three men have been arrested on the charge of aggravated criminal sexual assault against a University student, according to a press release from the Champaign Police Department.

The incident happened in the early morning of Sept. 23, 2012. The 23-year-old female student was taken from the dance floor of the Chester Street Bar in Champaign by an unidentified male, who was later identified as Champaign resident Alfredo Campos-Alvarez, 23, according to a press release from the Champaign Police Department and the Champaign County Clerk.

Campos-Alvarez reportedly walked the victim to a waiting vehicle occupied by four other males, according to the press release. The other males were later identified in a Champaign Police Department press release as Alejandro Campos-Alvarez, 25, of Urbana; Christian Jaimes-Rodriguez, 19, of Urbana; Adan Campos-Martinez, 34, Champaign; and Pedro Valerio-Mendez, 23, Champaign, whose addresses were verified by the Champaign County Circuit Clerk’s case lookup system.

The victim told police she last remembered being out with friends at a nightclub and that she woke up on the floor of a bedroom where she was being sexually assaulted by a male. The victim was able to get dressed and leave the bedroom, where she was encountered by four other males. The victim reported that she was able to convince two of the males to take her to a friend’s apartment. The victim then called the police and reported the incident and was treated at a local hospital.

Champaign Police arrested Alfredo Campos-Alvarez, Alejandro Campos-Alvarez and Jaimes-Rodriguez on the charge of aggravated criminal sexual assault Friday morning, according to the release.

According to the Champaign County Circuit Clerk’s website, all of the men, except Alfredo Campos-Alvarez, have been charged with five counts of aggravated criminal sexual assault and one count of aggravated kidnapping. Alfredo Campos-Alvarez had not been charged at press time.

Police think that Campos-Martinez and Valerio-Mendez fled to Mexico shortly after the incident. Warrants have been issued for their arrests with a bond of $5 million.