Champaign police investigating multiple robberies

The Champaign Police Department has received six robbery reports, three including handguns, since Aug. 23. Detectives are investigating these crimes to see if they are related, according to a Public Safety Advisory sent by the University Police Department.

The robberies occurred between 9:30 p.m. and 3 a.m. at the following areas:

—Green and Neil streets

—Second and Daniels streets

—300 block of East Springfield Avenue

—400 block of South Second Street

—500 block of East Stoughton

—700 block of West Church Street

Champaign Police are currently searching for a suspect in connection with an armed robbery which occurred Wednesday at 12:30 a.m. in the 500 block of East Stoughton St. A 25-year-old male reported being approached by two males while locking up his bicycle. One of the males placed the barrel of a gun to the victim’s forehead and demanded his property, according to the advisory.

The suspect struck the victim with a handgun after taking the victim’s money. A University police officer found the victim lying on the ground, unconscious and bleeding, according to the advisory. The victim was taken to a local hospital where he told police that he was also missing a laptop, credit cards and other personal items.

According to the advisory, the victim described the armed suspect as a black male and approximately 5’7” tall.

The Champaign and University Police departments are increasing patrol around campus in response to the robberies, according to the advisory. The advisory also reminds the public to remain alert, travel in pairs, refrain from being distracted by electronic devices and to travel in well-lit areas.

The University, Champaign and Urbana Police Departments are also collaborating to provide a national crime mapping service called CrimeReports with up-to-date crime information. According to the advisory, this would include a map of Clery crimes as well as other crimes. The map can be accessed at www.CrimeReports.com.

Any information can be reported to the Champaign Police Department at 351-4545 or anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 373-8477.