Parking spaces on campus costly, limited

Parking spaces on the University campus are limited, so it is both difficult and costly to get a permit. To get a parking permit as a student, you must pay $660 for a one-year permit that will last from August to July of the next year. In addition, student permit owners are only allowed to park in lots E-14 (adjacent from State Farm Center), F-23 (on Florida Avenue), and B-22 (on University Avenue), which are all located on the very edges of campus.

Students living in the residence halls may also apply for a space in the parking lots adjacent to the residence hall they are staying in. Students who live off-campus may purchase a shuttle parking permit, which allows them to park at the shuttle parking lots located on the edges of campus during the day for $127. So there are not many options, unless you want to pay by the hour.

You will be similarly hard-pressed to find long-term parking in Urbana. Most parking spaces are metered with various time limits, the most common being two hours. Most metered parking locations cost $0.25 an hour, but metered spots on campus and in front of the Carle Foundation Hospital are $1.00 an hour. Meters are typically enforced Monday through Saturday 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., but you should check the meter you are parked at for specific times.

You can also pay by the hour in Champaign, but the city has some parking decks and visitor lots in addition to the metered spots. Rates for metered parking are higher in Champaign than in Urbana, with typical rates of $0.75 per hour. However, rates are typically enforced from Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. You can also purchase short-term parking permits ranging from one to 30 days to park at long-term metered spots.

Parking in the Champaign-Urbana area is strictly enforced with towing and fines. Be sure to read all nearby signs and meters before parking to avoid them. State parking laws also apply, so be careful not to park near fire hydrants and fire lanes, or any clearly marked no parking zones.

Brian is a senior in LAS. He can be reached at [email protected].