University student arrested for terrorist-like threats

A University student has been arrested for allegedly making terrorist-like threats to fellow students.

Champaign Police Department officers responded to the home of Dany Sammak, 22, on Aug. 31 following reports that he repeatedly made terrorist-like threats against other students and the University, according to a press release.

Witnesses reported that Sammak made frequent shooting gestures with his hands and also made references to the Virginia Tech shooting. He was transported to the Champaign County Jail following his arrest.

During the investigation, CPD, the University Police Department and the FBI-Joint Terrorism Task Force conducted several interviews and consulted with other agents around the world to determine the validity of the threats. Additionally, the team obtained a search warrant to search Sammak’s residence, computer and other personal property. The team believes Sammak was not part of a larger plan to harm others.

Based on the information gathered, The Champaign County State’s Attorney’s Office charged Sammak with disorderly conduct, a class four felony. His bond was set at $250,000.

“I commend the students who promptly reported this incident to law enforcement. I advise anyone who may be concerned about these types of threats to come forward immediately with information. It is always better to err on the side of caution, in these types of cases,” said Champaign Police Chief Anthony Cobb.

Anyone with information related to this case is asked to call CPD at (217) 351-4545. Information may also be anonymously reported by calling Crime Stoppers at (217) 373-8477.

Editor’s note: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Sammak was arrested on Aug. 21. Sammak was arrested on Aug. 31. The Daily Illini regrets this error.